Thursday, April 30, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Over Rice



Marinade:
2 Tablespoons frozen Orange Juice
1 14 oz Can low sodium Chicken Broth (about 2 cups)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 Tablespoons low sodium (lite) soy sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 dash Allspice

Remaining Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts, cut in half
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms (about 4-5 white mushrooms)
2 Tablespoons butter
11 oz. can mandarin orange sections, drained
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cold water
Rice or potatoes

Marinade: The night before you plan on slow cooking your dinner, mix together marinade ingredients and Chicken in crockpot or baking dish that has an oven proof lid.  Put in the fridge, covered overnight.
In the morning or early afternoon cook on low (if crockpot) or 200 degrees in the oven, for 6 hours.
After the six hours are up increase the temperature to High (if crockpot) or 350 degrees in the over.   Meanwhile, slice up the mushrooms and peppers.  In a small fry pan melt the butter and add the sliced mushrooms.  Saute until they are starting to brown.  To the crockpot add, the mushrooms (with pan juices), raw bell peppers, mandarin oranges, and ginger.  Stir.
In a measuring cup mix cornstarch with the milk and water. Then add to the crockpot.  Recover the slow cooker and cook for 15-30 minutes.
Serve over cooked rice or Potatoes.

Suzanne's note: This is a really tasty. I expected this to have an oriental flavor because of the ginger and orange, but it didn't at all.  The orange flavor blends in nicely to give a unique layered flavor. I used low sodium chicken broth and soy sauce, so it might taste a bit salter if you just use regular.  I would suggest cutting out the 1/2 tsp. salt if you don't use low sodium broth and soy sauce.  Both times I made this it was in the oven, so I can't vouch for doing it soley in the crockpot.

1 comment:

suzanne said...

So good! And it is a bonus that it is a slow cooker meal which means most of the work is done the night before. Hallelujah for slow cookers! I need more recipes for them.