Thursday, November 12, 2009

World's Best Chili Verde

For anyone who has never had Chili Verde before. It is actually a chili that you serve wrapped in tortillas or over rice. This one is seriously good. I was going to take a picture of it, but I didn't have enough left over for a picture since we all ate it so fast. This is one we are definitely excited about. And who knew that Disney's family website would have such a winning recipe.

courtesy of familyfun.com

Ingredients

3 lb. boneless pork roast, cut into 1 inch cubes (I used a pork loin)
1 1/2 bell peppers, chopped, (1 green, 1 red)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 cans tomato sauce
1 7 oz can chopped green chilies
2 medium onions, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup beef broth
1-2 tsp. salt to taste
2 jalapenos chopped fine, optional

Served with:
tortillas
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
avocados, diced

Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot. Mix. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. If you are cooking in the oven cook in a covered pot at 225 degrees for 8-9 hours. Serve with Tortillas, sour cream, cheese, and avocado or guacamole.

Suggestions: This really is fantastic but I found that it was a little too liquidy so I would suggest simmering without the lid the last hour to let some liquid evaporate or add some cornstarch to thicken it up a little.

2 comments:

suzanne said...

This one is delicious. I am always excited when I come across a good meal that I can do in the crockpot. It really saves me time and stress.

Callie said...

I'm trying this one tonight... Yummy!