Saturday, December 24, 2011

Lentil Stew

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

2 whole Leeks, Halved, Rinsed And Thinly Sliced (light green and white parts only)

2 cloves Garlic, Crushed

2 Tablespoons Oregano Leaves, or 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

5 slices of Bacon, Roughly Chopped ( cook the rest and use for Garnish)

14 oz Lentils, Rinsed And Drained

1 can (28 Oz. Size) crushed Tomatoes

4 cups Chicken Stock

1 pinch Sea Salt And Pepper

1 pinch Fresh Oregano (garnish)

hot sauce, garnish

Preparation Instructions

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When oil gets hot, add in the leeks, garlic, oregano and chopped bacon. Cook for ten minutes until bacon is brown and crispy.

2. Add in the lentils, stock and tomatoes with juice. Season and bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for twenty minutes.


3. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with some oregano leaves and a slice of bacon and hot sauce.

Suzanne's Note: I have found that a dash of hot sauce does amazing things to boost the flavor of lentils. I am just discovering lentils and love them.If you don't know how to prep leeks they are really easy and you can find how-to videos on the internet. My kids loved this recipe also.

1 comment:

suzanne said...

Really good. I loved the tomato, lentils combination. I have found that I love hot sauce and lentils. And my kids favorite part was the bacon of course. But it got them to eat the lentils.