Monday, February 16, 2009

Apple Pumpkin Muffins


I have been looking for new ideas for breakfasts and snacks. This recipe is great for both. They are really delicious. They also seem to have been disappearing very quickly. I guess I am not the only one who likes them.

courtesy of All recipes.com

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable or Canola oil
2 cups grated apple 

STREUSEL:
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons cold butter

1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, and oil. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in apples.
2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.  In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon for the streusel. Then cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle a little bit over each muffin before baking.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.

Suzanne's note: I used 1/4 cup of wheat flour and 2 1/4 of white. I didn't even notice and might try upping the wheat flour next time. Also if you didn't want to do the streusel topping they taste great without it. It is however, the icing on the cake if you decide to make them with the streusel.

1 comment:

suzanne said...

This are sooooo good and moist. They have been great for breakfasts or snacks.