Friday, February 6, 2009

Stuffed Squash for Two


courtesy of Lydia's blog ( see links)

1 medium acorn squash
1 T butter, melted
2 T brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 lb ground beef
3 T chopped celery
3 T chopped onion
2 T flour
1/2 tsp rubbed sage or ground sage
3/4 cup milk
1 cup salad croutons
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Cut squash in halt; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in an 9x13 baking dish; add 1/2 in of water. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Brush with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Bake 30-40 minutes longer or until squash is tender.

2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour, sage and remaining salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

3.Remove from the heat; stir in croutons.
4.Spoon into squash halves. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Suzanne's Note: I have made this a couple of times. The first time I followed the recipe exactly. I noticed that the filling tasted delicious. But after following step four it seemed to lose some of it's flavor.
When making this the last time, I was in a hurry and made a few adjustments to the original recipe. I skipped step one. Instead I scooped out the seeds, put the squash face down in a glass baking dish and put 1/2 inch water in the pan. Then you cook it in the microwave,covered for 8-10 minutes. (I ommitted the butter and brown sugar)
I made the filling exactly as it says in step two and three. I skipped step four and instead served the filling over the cooked, mashed squash.
The result was very delicious and much quicker and more convenient then the oringial experience. I also love the croutons in it because you could get different flavored croutons to change it up a bit.

3 comments:

suzanne said...

This is really good. I thought it was a very tasty way to eat squash. But of course having a family I doubled it. Hope you like it.

suzanne said...

Ok so I added a picture of when I made this the first time. So you can see what it looks like if you make it according to the directions.

Lyd Stew said...

Looks to me like you really improved on what I made! Nice work! I'm curious how you came across my blog. Keep up the good cooking you awesome cooks! :)