Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables


  • 2 red peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
  • 2 zucchini, cut into one inch cubes
  • 2 summer squash (yellow), cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 4 cremini mushrooms, halved
  • 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon dried italian herb mix or herbs de Provence
  • 1 pound penne pasta
  • 3 cups marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
  • 1 cup grated fontina cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup for topping
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2.  On a baking sheet toss: onion, peppers, squash, zuchinni, mushrooms with the olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt,1/2 tsp. pepper and dried herbs.  Roast until tender about 15 minutes.
3.  Meanwhile bring a big pot of water to a boil. Cook penne until done.
4.  In a large bowl mix : drained pasta, roasted vegetables, peas, marinara sauce, cheeses, 1/2 tsp. salt,  1/2 pepper.  Using a wooden spoon gently mix until all the pasta is coated with the marinara sauce.
5. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
6. Top with remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and butter pieces.
7. Bake until top is golden and cheese is melted. About 25 minutes.

Suzanne's Note: This is really good. I couldn't find fontina cheese, so I just used Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese because I had it on hand.  But reviews raved about the combination of cheeses, so if you want to spend the money and can find the fontina and smoked mozz. cheese, then it will probably be better.  I like mushrooms so next time I make it I will add more mushrooms since there weren't a lot. I also substituted shell pasta for the penne.

1 comment:

suzanne said...

This is really yummy. I know there are a lot of ingredients but it is actually very easy to make. It is colorful and delightful to my eyes and tummy.