Monday, January 25, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie


Courtesy of allrecipes.com

I made this last week for Paul, and we LOVED it. I did make quite a few alterations, including adding a few more vegetables, doubling the sauce, and adding a few more seasonings and spices. My favorite spice is an herb blend called, "Spike." I can only find it at specialty health food stores here in NM, but in Utah it can be found at almost any grocery store. It's a must have! You can use Spike for chicken, sweet potatoes, soup, beans, almost anything. I doubled the recipe and am so glad I did because our family ate almost the entire first pie over one meal. ENJOY!


Prep time: 30 Min
Cook Time:40 Min
Ready In:
1 Hr 10 Min
Servings 8

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9 inch pie

Ingredients

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
3-5 baby red potatoes, skins left on
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 chicken boullion cubes
1-2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 teaspoons Spike seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon celery seed (I used celery salt)
4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (I used Pillsbury pre-made crusts, very easy/yummy)


Directions

1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2.) In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add chicken broth to cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

3.) In a pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Cut red baby potatoes into cubes and cook in pot, cover. Let boil until potato cubes fall apart when jabbed with a fork. Strain and set aside.

4.)In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed, and remaining spices/seasonings. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

5.) After greasing deep dish pie pan, place pie crust in pan, and pre-cook bottom pie crust in oven for 5 minutes, optional egg white brushed on.

6.) While the crust is pre-baking, place the chicken mixture in large bowl or pot. Add steamed potatoes, and pour hot liquid mixture over. Stir until blended.

7.) Using the deep dish pie pan that has the pre-baked pie crust in the bottom, pour mixture into pan. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

8.) Place pie pan on a cookie sheet to catch possible leaks or drips that might boil over. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 416 | Total Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 56mg

Nutritional Information
Chicken Pot Pie IX
Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 416

Total Fat: 24g
Cholesterol: 56mg
Sodium: 766mg
Total Carbs: 30.7g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
Protein: 18.7g

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

I havent been finding new recipes for a long time because I temporarily lost my zeal for cooking. I recently decided that I need to SPICE UP my family's life by trying something new. It paid off! I made this recipe and we all loved it. So, for the first time in a lont time, I have something new to post.
I forgot to mention that even though I doubled the recipe, I did not double the amount of chicken. I dont enjoy copious amounts of chicken in casseroles or pot pies. It tasted great this way and seemed to have plenty of chicken without it being doubled. It's cheaper and healthier that way, too.

Ashlee said...

I made another mistake, if you arent doubling the recipe, then only add 2 chicken boullion cubes. 4 cubes is for a doubled recipe. Sorry!

suzanne said...

Wow ! do you realize it has been over a year since you last posted? This looks really good. I am all about store bought crusts.