I love Orange Rolls , but it is incredibly hard to find a recipe that isn't loaded with butter. I made these when my sister came over and they couldn't stop eating them. I mean who wants a dessert that may be low fat but flavorless? Not me But if you can still have a delicious dessert that is also better for your heart then why not ? So I tweaked this recipe and experimented with it to make it healthier then originally posted and was very happy when I met success and my tastebuds couldn't taste a difference. The secret was using nonfat plain yogurt, which is different then fat free yogurt. Fat free is loaded with chemicals to make it somewhat resemble the flavor of yogurt. But nonfat yogurt is just plain yogurt that they take the fat out of without altering it. The ingredient list only has like three things on it. Verses a very lengthy list with comlicated names. I have found that it is wonderful for cooking. This may look like a complicated recipe but, it's not. It took ten minutes to mix up the dough in my mixure and a few more minutes to finish it off and walah done.
courtesy of cookinglight.com
1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1/2 cup warm water (100-110 degrees, I use my meat thermometer to get the right temp.)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt (or sour cream if you aren't being healthy consciece)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can use half white, half wheat flour)
Cooking spray
Filling
2 Tablespoons butter melted
3 tablespoons grated orange rind
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Glaze:
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
Directions:
1.To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. let stand for 5 minutes. Then add 1/4 cup sugar, plain yogurt (or sour cream), 2 tablespoons of softened butter, salt, and egg. Beat on a medium speed until smooth.
2.Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup and level off. Add two cups of flour to yeast mixture. Mix until incorporated. Then add another 1-1 1/2 cups flour until you have a soft dough. Knead dough for a few minutes until smooth and elastic.
3.Place dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until double about an hour. Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.
Punch dough down and let rest for five minutes.
4. Divide dough in half. Working with one portion at a time, roll or pat out into a 12-inch circle. Brush the circle with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup granulated sugar and half of orange rind on top of dough circle. Then using a pizza cutter cut into wedges like a pizza, about 8-12. Starting with the wide side, rolling toward the center, roll each wedge up tightly. Place in a coated 9 x 13 pan point side down.
Repeat with second portion of dough.
5.Cover 9 x 13 pan and let rise for 25 minutes.
6.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover pan and bake rolls for 25 minutes or until slightly
7.While the rolls are baking prepare the glaze. Combine sugar, butter, and orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and cool slightly then mix in the sour cream. Drizzle glaze over the warm rolls.
2 comments:
These were a yummy dessert. I found that baking isn't that time consuming because I can find ten minutes in the day to whip up a little dough and these are worth the effort.
I think that I am going to try these next week. I love orange rolls. I hope you used some good AZ citrus in them. I miss that!
Post a Comment